Public Library

Mission


The South Hadley Public Library builds upon historical traditions to create a more informed community through progressive library services at the main library and Gaylord branch.  South Hadley’s public libraries provide our community with quality programs and services that strengthen early literacy in children, ensure equal access to recreational and educational resources, maintain a comfortable and welcoming environment for library patrons, and empower users of all ages to pursue personal growth and education throughout their lives.

History
Our town has a long history with libraries. In 1802, "Ye Social Library of So. Hadley" was establish (the records of the Social Library are now kept in the library's Local History Room).  In 1897 the Town established a free public library with depositories located at the Center Village and South Hadley Falls. 

In 1902, through the generosity of benefactors William H. and Betsey Gaylord, the Gaylord Memorial Library Association established an independent public library at "the Center Village" and that library opened in 1904 as a charitable nonprofit organization separate from the town. 

In 1906, Andrew Carnegie donated $10,000 to construct a town-owned public library in "the Falls".  The municipal South Hadley Public Library was expanded in 1974.   

The South Hadley Public and Gaylord Memorial libraries operated together as the South Hadley Library System from 1968 to 1995 before separating again.

In 2011, the Town of South Hadley received a $4,841,312 grant from the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners to construct a new municipal library.  Additional funding was provided by generous grants, donations, and public funding from the Town of South Hadley. An abandoned site in South Hadley Falls was redeveloped and the new library opened in 2014, showcasing modern library services alongside the historic South Hadley Canal.

In 2017, the Selectboard, Boards of Library Trustees for both South Hadley Public and Gaylord, and Town Meeting voted to integrate library services under the direction of the Town of South Hadley's publicly elected Library Trustees. 

Today, the South Hadley Public Library operates as the main library of a two-library system, with Gaylord Memorial Library operating as a branch library.  The library is a member of the CW MARS library consortium, allowing library card holders to use and access materials and information from libraries across Massachusetts.

Library Trustees
Susan Obremski-Crowther, Chair     
Term expires: 2020

Robert Berwick, Vice-Chair
Term expires: 2019

Leslie Fields, Clerk
Term expires: 2019

Barbara Merchant
Term expires: 2019

David Morrell
Term expires: 2020

Gillian Woldorf
Term expires: 2020

Connie Clancy
Term expires: 2021

Mitchell Resnick
Term expires: 2021

Timna Tarr
Term expires: 2021