Mission and Methodology
FinPAT Mission: Advise the South Hadley Selectboard on major issues affecting the Town of South Hadley.
Major concerns and issues, primarily financial, to be examined, assessed, and recommended will first be proposed by FinPAT and agreed to by the Selectboard. The DOR report will be one source, but not necessarily the only source, of potential financial policies under consideration for examination.
1. Determine goal – what is the issue being addressed?
2. Define the issue under consideration.
3. Who are the subject matter experts needed to understand the specifics of what already exists relative to the issue. What are its components? Is there any policy already existing that could serve as a precedent, or that might be complementary or conflicting? In addition to the subject matter experts, are there others in Town Hall who might be affected by the issue?
4. Given the particulars of the issue, determine the specific research and analysis necessary. Involve subject matter experts and others as necessary. Discuss preferred format for findings. Discuss target timeframe.
5. Assess the results of research and analysis. Continue research and analysis as necessary.
6. Determine results of research and analysis. Discuss and determine conclusion. Use subject matter experts and others to assess impact of conclusion, including unanticipated consequences on departments. Discuss preliminary findings with Selectboard, School Committee, and Appropriations for feedback.
7. Develop recommendation for presentation and discussion.