Bynan Conservation Area (162 acres)
Lying in the southeast corner of town, the Bynan Conservation Area was part of an acquisition of approximately 162 acres in 1978 from the Bynan family. Of this land, purchased with the assistance of a Self-Help Grant, about 40 acres were reserved to accommodate expansion of the South Hadley Landfill, which closed in 2014. The remainder were reserved for conservation and recreation purposes. Several smaller abutting parcels have recently been protected also. In the 1920’s, all the ponds in the area were known as the Brittons Ponds after the man that owned the land. In the 1930’s, the largest remaining pond was called Bynan Pond after the family that purchased the property and had built a home nearby.
The sandy soil of the ancient glacial delta support a pine barren habitat; pitch pine and oak woodlands are interspersed with wetlands and ponds that often dry up in the summer. Old wood roads wander throughout the area, facilitating hiking and cross-country skiing. There are marked and unmarked trails in the area.
This area can be accessed using on-street parking at three trailheads. Look for the kiosk at the trailhead on New Ludlow Road, pulling onto the grass to get out of traffic. Find another trailhead kiosk the end of Lyman Terrace and the beginning of Apple Rd on the right side. Finally, at the end of Bartlett St. Look for the boulders at each trailhead.
ATV use is prohibited.