South Hadley MA Homepage
Who qualifies for an abatement?
You may qualify for an abatement (or refund if the excise is paid) when:

-Your vehicle is valued for more than percentage of manufacturer's list price in the schedule established by G.L. Ch. 60A §1.

-Your vehicle is exempt from the excise under G.L. Ch. 60A §1.

-You sell, trade or otherwise transfer ownership of the vehicle, and transfer or cancel your registration, during the same calendar year.

-You move to another state, register the vehicle there, and cancel or not renew your Massachusetts registration during the same calendar year.

-Your vehicle is stolen, you report the theft to the police within 48 hours, and you cancel your registration and obtain a certificate from Registrar at least 30 days after theft.

-You register the same vehicle again later in the same calendar year.

-You are not entitled to an abatement if you (1) cancel your registration and retain ownership of the vehicle, or (2) move to another Massachusetts city or town, during the same calendar year.

No excise may be reduced to less than $5. No abatement of less than $5 will be made.

Therefore, if your bill is less than $10, no abatement can be issued for the above.

Show All Answers

1. What is motor vehicle excise tax?
2. Who must pay?
3. What is the rate?
4. What is the minimum tax?
5. How are vehicles valued?
6. Who qualifies for an abatement?
7. What information do I need to file with an abatement application?
8. Who qualifies for an exemption?
9. When must I file for an abatement or exemption on excise?
10. Where must I file for an abatement?
11. Where do I get an application for abatement?
12. How long does it take to receive an abatement once it is filed?
Government Websites by CivicPlus®
Arrow Left Arrow Right
Slideshow Left Arrow Slideshow Right Arrow