Who is eligible to file for an abatement?
Anyone who feels overvalued or exempt is eligible to file for an abatement. However, you should ask yourself these questions before filing:
- Is the data on my property record card correct?
- Is my value in line with other similar properties?
- Is my value in line with recent sale prices?
Also, keep in mind that you are appealing your assessment, not your taxes. Therefore you must pay your taxes pending your appeal. The office staff will be happy to assist you. No appointment is necessary to review your property record card but they are appreciated.

Show All Answers

1. At what ratio is property assessed?
2. What does 100% of full and fair cash value mean?
3. How do I check the valuation of a property?
4. What technique is used to value my property for assessment purposes?
5. What is the assessment date of all property?
6. Do you have a book and page reference?
7. Can I find out when a property was sold?
8. How do I check on the ownership of property?
9. How do I change my mailing address for tax billing?
10. How do I change a name on my property?
11. Do you have sales reports?
12. When do I file for an abatement for overvaluation?
13. Who is eligible to file for an abatement?
14. Are there instructions available to assist me in filing an application for abatement?
15. Where do I file applications for abatement?
16. Where do I get applications for abatement?
17. Are abatement applications public records?
18. If the Town denies my application, do I have any recourse?
19. What happens if my abatement is approved?
20. How much was my assessment reduced?