Transfer station, yard waste facility open by appointment only
Beginning Tuesday, July 7, the South Hadley Transfer Station will reopen. Its new hours of operation will be Tuesday through Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. It will be closed daily between 12 and 1 p.m. Residents will need to book a time to use the facility online, here. Online prepayment is also now required.
Fill out the form and submit. Make sure you receive a confirmation email to confirm your time slot. If there is a conflict in the time slot chosen the email will tell you to pick a new date or time.
If you do not have a sticker for your vehicle, please DO NOT make a reservation. You may request a 2020 sticker by filling out this form. At this time, one-day passes are not being issued.
Prepayment for items is now required for use of the transfer station, as payment is no longer accepted at the facility. You can do this online, here. Click "Add to Cart" below whichever items you wish to dispose of at the station. If you have different items to dispose of, be sure to click "Continue Shopping" at the top right of the PayPal cart to be directed back to the list of items from which to choose. Make sure to print a receipt or make a screenshot of your receipt. At the transfer station, you will be required to show either a printed receipt or e-receipt when you arrive. No exceptions.
Please look at the new fee schedule for what items are accepted and the cost for disposing of those items. Please note the town no longer accepts bulky waste or construction debris. Click here to see alternative ways to dispose of such items.
To schedule a reservation, look at the calendar for a date and time you wish to book. Times that are already booked will show as busy. Times are booked in five-minute intervals i.e.: 8:00, 8:05, 8:10, 10:20, 10:25, 10:30, 10:35, etc. Look for a five-minute time that is not already busy.
Fill out your:
- Email address
- Street address
- Reservation type (transfer station or yard waste facility). You will need to book two separate times if you wish to use the transfer station and yard waste facility on the same visit i.e.: 9:00 and 9:05.
- Reservation date and reservation time (make sure to choose a.m. or p.m.) Then click submit. You will receive either a confirmation email or a conflict email and have to re-book a new date and or time
If you need to cancel your reservation, you need to call or email the DPW office at (413)-538-5033 or email@example.com
We are scheduling times to make sure we do not have crowds and to control how many residents are allowed at a time to comply with the state’s reopening plan. Under guidance from the Commonwealth and the emergency management director, this plan was developed and implemented.
Terms and conditions:
- Follow the instructions of attendants.
- All items that have a cost to dispose of at the transfer station must be paid for online ahead of your scheduled visit. Please print your receipt or be ready to show the attendants an e-receipt.
- Dispose of transfer station items, yard waste and/or pick up mulch and go. No loitering, please.
- Trash sticker must be attached to vehicle. No exceptions.
- Stay in each of the coned disposal areas.
- Continue to observe social distancing.
- No contractors.
- No drive-ups accepted without a booked time. No exceptions.
We ask that all visitors to the transfer station and yard waste facility wear face coverings at all times, as directed by state order, and maintain social distancing. These practices will protect you and the staff working diligently to offer you this service during this state of emergency.
Solid Waste (Trash & Recycling)
The Solid Waste Division of the DPW has two key areas of responsibility: oversight of curbside collection and disposal of both trash and recyclables for the town and management of both the yard waste / composting site and the transfer station. Republic Services is contracted out by the town to provide curbside pickup of recyclables and trash. DPW staff manage the compost site and transfer station.
The Highway Division of the DPW provides residents with a safe and comprehensive public works infrastructure throughout town. Division responsibilities include:
- Adopt An Island Program
- DPW vehicle repair and maintenance
- Drainage and sewer system maintenance and oversight
- Highway and bridge maintenance and improvement
- Tree work and oversight
To report a sewer backup or overflow, please call 413-538-5033
The Parks Division of the DPW is based primarily in the big white barn next to the high school field. The division provides groundskeeping for a variety of town properties which include town hall, the town common, Beachgrounds Park, and Canal Park among many others. The department also manages Buttery Brook Park. The DPW handles all reservations and rentals and can provide availability options, general information, and details about any insurance requirement. Please direct all inquiries about facilities and rentals to the DPW at (413) 538-5033.
Water Pollution Control
The Water Pollution Control Division of the DPW provides oversight, management and / or treatment of the various types of "dirty waters" generated within the town. This includes the regulation and oversight of commercial and industrial wastewaters to protect both the treatment plant and our natural resources.